For more information on the value of using cohorts as an analytics tool, please read http://52weeksofux.com/post/646711369/cohort-analysis-measuring-engagement-over-time
The details below will explain the various features of the Cohort Report, but please contact Apsalar's Product Support Team if you have any additional questions.
To configure your Cohort Report, you have the option to customize your report via selected applications, dimensions, cohort, date range, data aggregation rules, filters, and retention metric columns. Becoming familiar with these customizations will allow you to take advantage of every combination of your user's retention and campaign data.
The Cohort Report allows you to view your campaign performance by application. Use the application dropdown to select your application.
Dimensions are key attribution values, such as Country, Campaign, or Publisher, which you can use to better understand your cohort data. The Cohort Report is organized with two levels of distinction, a Primary Dimension and an Additional Dimension.
The Primary Dimension selected will define the high level organization of the resulting report. For example, if Country is selected, the resulting data and graph will be separated by Country from which attributions originate.
The Additional Dimension is an optional data point which can be added to your report to further examine your primary dimension's information. The Cohort Report supports one Additional Dimension aside from your Primary Dimension.
For example, if you selected County as your Primary Dimension, it would show your clicks and installs by region. But if you wanted to see which of your Ad Network partners were performing best in each region, you could add Campaign Source as an Additional Dimension.
For more information about each Dimension, please see the descriptions below:
There are three default cohorts which provide insights on users performance.
- ARPU: Only available if revenue events are enabled. This is average revenue recorded in the application from the date of install or re-engagement for all users.
- ARPPU: Only available if revenue events are enabled. This is average revenue recorded in the application from the date of install or re-engagement for all paying users.
- Retention: This is the number of unique users that return each day from the date of install or re-engagement.
- Return on Ad Spend: This is the return on ad spend which is calculated from the amount of revenue generated by users in your cohort, minus campaign spend.
- Revenue: Only available if revenue events are enabled. This is the total revenue recorded in the application from the date of install or re-engagement for all users.
- Uninstall: Only available if Uninstall tracking is enabled. This is the number of Uninstalls recorded in the application from the date of install or re-engagement for all users.
Alongside the default cohorts, every event instrumented in the app has a cohort from the attribution -- install or re-engagement -- event. These event-based cohorts are also available in the same dropdown selector.
You can choose to display data for your cohort, by including organics in the resulting dataset. Additionally, you can choose to view your cohort by those who entered the cohort from a click-through conversion, a view-through conversion, or both. Note: View-through tracking is currently only available for Facebook install tracking. View-through tracking for more partners are on the way!
There are a handful of pre-configured date ranges available via the dropdown menu located in the upper right. You can also select a custom date range using the calendar selection tool.
Your Cohort Report data can be presented and aggregated in different ways. You can aggregate the data for your selected Cohort either by Type and Transformation settings
The following Cohort data types are available for each cohort:
- Events - This will show the number of instances the event occurred for your selected cohort. Note, this is available only for Cohorts organized by occurrence of an event. For example, ARPU, ARPPU, and RoAS Cohort types are cohorts based on averages and hence event counts for these cohorts are not available.
- Unique Users - This will show the number of unique users who performed the event in your selected cohort. Note, this is available only for Cohorts organized by occurrence of an event. For example, ARPU, ARPPU, and RoAS Cohort types are cohorts based on averages and hence event counts for these cohorts are not available.
- Revenue - This will show the amount of revenue generated by your selected cohort. Note, this is available only for Revenue based Cohorts. For example, ARPU, ARPPU, RoAS, and Revenue Cohort have this data type enabled.
The selected Data Type can then be transformed to show your Retention Metrics with different aggregation methodologies. There are four options in this selection:
- Count - Shows the number of times the event was performed.
- Cumulative - Shows the cumulative number of times the event was performed.
- Count % of Total - Shows the number of times the event was executed by percentage of total events performed by that cohort.
- Cumulative % of Total - Shows the cumulative percentage of peformed events in that cohort
The Filter option allows you to include or exclude only data which matches your specified criteria. To do so, select the either the Include or Exclude box and select the field which you would like to use to filter your data. Then you can enter the specific Campaign, Group, Source, Country, or Geographic Region which you would like to include or exclude.
These column selectors allow you to select the retention numbers by Day (1-30), Week (1-26) , or Month (1-24), for your selected cohort.
This drop-down will allow you to aggregate the reports' rows by:
- Daily: This shows the number of events, revenue or unique users attributed on a given day and their activity in the following days or weeks.
- Weekly: This shows the sum of daily events, revenue or unique users attributed during the week.
- No Summary: This shows the sum of daily events, revenue or unique users attributed during the selected time period.
If you have any questions or have feedback on the report, please email Apsalar Support.